Mobile Journalism and Visual Culture
The convergence of mobile technologies is resulting in unprecedented opportunities for citizens at grassroots levels to create and publish their voice on a global stage. With just a smartphone, some multimedia, journalistic, camera, writing, editing and publishing skills, anyone is ready to “mojo” anywhere there is connectivity. User generated stories (USG) empower citizens with digital skills that transform their alternative voice into a more mainstream form.
For media practitioners, mojo is a nonthreatening digital storytelling toolkit to create a content stream and a bridge to transition audience between screens and breaking news, as well as, web TV platforms.
The use of drones, on the other hand, is also taking off as most news organisations realise the value of alternative data-gathering tools despite the regulatory complexities associated with the practice. Considering that online video has become such an important strategy, drone cameras can get you some unique angles that will definitely enhance your story.
Hence, this course will expose you to the various approaches in making better use of not only your smartphone to capture and edit stories, but also guide you through the navigation of a drone camera to make the best of today’s mobile technology.
Learn all you need to know to get up and running with your mobile devices, from cinematography techniques, audio, lighting, editing, to publishing video online.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Publish empowering visual stories using just the smartphone
- Use the smartphone and drone cameras for footage
- Edit videos using your smartphone
This course is for you if
- You’re a media enthusiast who wants to experiment with the use of a smartphone as a tool to gather and present stories.
- You are a media practitioner who wants to get a better sense of how smartphones and drone cameras can be used to enhance your newsroom activities and increase engagement with your audiences.
- You are a fresh school leaver who wants to pursue a career in journalism and learn the ropes of how to use your smartphone in the gathering and dissemination of news and the many ways to make the most of this technology.
What you will learn
- Understanding the Mobile Journalism Revolution
- Moving from User-Generated Content (UGC) to User-Generated Stories (UGS)
- Using MoJo Across Platforms and Genres
- Tools of the MoJo Trade
- Composing Visual Proof on a Smartphone and Drone
- Recording Location Sound Using Smartphones
- The Elements of MoJo Storytelling
- MoJo Interviewing
- Editing and Post Production on a Smartphone
Ethical and Legal Aspects of MoJo
Meet your Trainer
18 to 26 May 2019 (Sat & Sun only; 9:30am to 5:30pm)