Gathering and Writing the News for Today’s Media
If you are keen to find out what makes a story stand out, what editors want and how every step of the news reporting process works, this could be the course you need!
In today’s climate of constant rolling news through various media platforms, it is important to seek out news stories that are both relevant and interesting to a reader.
From writing that vital, attention-grabbing first paragraph to drawing out details from a reluctant source, and developing research techniques, this course will sharpen your skills to become an influential writer.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of news judgement and gathering techniques
- Write and organise a news story that is concise and accurate for both, print and online media
- Edit a news story for its fluency and accuracy
This course is for you if
- You’re a journalist or creative writer who wants to learn how to adapt your writing to various platforms
- You’re a PR practitioner or marketing professional who wants to improve the quality of your content marketing strategy
- You are a fresh school leaver who wants to pursue a career in journalism or are just interested in how news is uncovered, gathered and reported
What you will learn
- Why Journalism in the Digital Age Has to Be Different
- Why Writing for the Web Changes the Way Journalists Write
- How to Spot a Good Story
- Collecting Information: Curiosity and Story Ideas
- Constructing Stories: The Fundamentals of News Reporting in Print and Online
- Second Read: Polishing Your Story
6 to 14 April (Sat & Sun only; 9:30am to 5:30pm)