Digital Storytelling on Multimedia Platforms
With more tools available than ever before, it is important for storytellers to work across various media platforms and markets to increases the chances for them to be seen, as each audience group is targeted in a familiar format.
While there is no set rule for producing an engaging digital story, the capacity for it has been developing to also fit with computer screen technologies and other parameters of new media forms. Social platforms such as Facebook and Twitter as news sources are also driving a transformation that requires a new way of thinking about storytelling.
Whether you’re new to journalism or want to update your digital skill set, this course will explore the opportunities created by digital media and show you how to build flexibility into a story to stay abreast of developments, especially since news now travels as fast as it develops.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Become proficient with capturing and manipulating digital image, sound, and video through the development of computer-mediated aesthetics
- Understand properties and characteristic differences among various digital media
- Integrate different media (text, images, sound, video) into a seamless online news environment
- Formulate an effective communication strategy to articulate one’s design, from conceptualisation, planning, and visualisation to development and execution
This course is for you if
- You’re a journalist or creative writer who wants to learn how to adapt your writing to various platforms.
- You’re a PR practitioner or marketing professional who wants to improve the quality of your content marketing strategy.
- You are a fresh school leaver who wants to pursue a career in journalism or are just interested in learning the fundamentals of multimedia writing.
What you will learn
- Why journalism in the digital age has to be different
- How to Come Up with Compelling Story Ideas
- Managing the Digital Storytelling Project
- Thinking Through the Storyboard
- Using Media to Show, Not Just Tell the Story
- Designing the Multimedia Story
- Producing the Multimedia
- Editing and Publishing the Digital Story
15 to 23 June 2019 (Sat & Sun only; 9:30am to 5:30pm)